What Can I Do If I Feel My Employer Violated Labor Laws?

Submitted by rtg on

You may understand that various labor laws protect your rights as an employee. Along with federal laws, employers must abide by state-specific laws.

Again, you may know this. What you might not know is what to do when you believe an employer has violated an employment law. The following guide will help in these circumstances. If you believe an employer has broken the law, take these steps:

Step 1: Tell Your Employer

Your employer may properly address the matter when you notify them of a potential labor laws violation. Nevertheless, you can strengthen a future employment law claim now by contacting your employer to formally report your concerns.

Check your employee handbook to determine how to send such notification. There may be a procedure for filing complaints internally. If there isn’t, send an email to your supervisor and HR explaining the nature of the alleged employment law violation.

Refrain from letting emotion influence the content of your letter. Stick to the facts.

Step 2: Documentation and Evidence

Evidence in an employment law case can take many forms. The following are examples of types of evidence you may gather to strengthen an employment law claim:

  • Emails
  • Text messages
  • Voicemails
  • Chat logs
  • Witness statements
  • Documentation of past violations

You may not have evidence to support all the points you wish to raise in your claim. For example, it might be difficult to document a conversation you had with your supervisor. Thus, it’s wise to keep a log of any potential violations your employer engages in. Every time your employer potentially violates labor laws, make a note of the date and the nature of the violation.

Step 3: Report Illegal Actions to State or Federal Agency

The nature of the violation may influence the agency you contact to report illegal actions. For example, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) handles complaints related to workplace discrimination and similar violations of labor laws. You may file an EEOC complaint online.

Sometimes, a complaint filed with the EEOC may be better handled by a local agency. Due to workshare agreements, depending on the details of your employment law claim, the EEOC may share it with a local agency better-suited to handle your case.

Or, you might initially file your claim with a local agency. In some cases, that agency may enlist the help of the EEOC to handle your case.

Don’t worry if you’re not sure what agency is right for your claim. An employment law attorney can help you better determine how to initiate a case.

Step 4: Contact an Employment Attorney

Helping you identify the right agency to file a claim with is just one way an employment law lawyer can assist you when an employer has violated labor laws. An attorney may also help by:

  • Explaining whether you have a valid case
  • Gathering documentation and evidence to support an employment law claim
  • Completing and submitting claim paperwork
  • Negotiating with various parties involved in the case

For more information about what a lawyer may do for you, take the Free Case Evaluation today to speak with an independent employment law attorney who subscribes to the website.

Add new comment