How to Report Wage Theft by State

There are many ways wage theft can occur. One of the most common type is overtime wage theft. Most employers are required to pay their workers time and a half if they have worked over 40 hours. Minimum wage is another common form of wage theft. There is a federal minimum wage however, individual states are allowed to set their own minimum wages. It is important to know the laws of your specific state to receive the compensation you deserve.

Prepare All Evidence

You may be wondering if it is worth your time to report wage theft. The answer is yes. No employer should get away with any unlawful activity. To begin filling a complaint you will need information and evidence from your employer. You should gather pay stubs, contract and any other information that will help your case. One other piece of important information is your brief description of your situation. Include time, date, and any witness’ in your descriptions.

How to File A Complaint

When you are finally ready to submit your complaint, you can either mail it to the Wage and Hour Division of the Department of Labor or you have the option to submit it in person. If the wage violation was performed unknowingly by your employer, the statute of limitations gives you two years to file a claim. If the crime was committed knowingly by your boss, you have a total of three years to file a claim. If you’ve been subject to any wage violations, you should consider hiring an experienced lawyer.

Read more below for more information about how to report wage theft in your specific state: