How To Report Wage Theft in Michigan

Wage theft is a serious problem that affects millions of Americans every year. If your employer owes you money for unpaid wages, overtime, or benefits in Michigan, you do have some options available to you. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the laws, gather supporting evidence and documentation, and then act in a timely fashion so you can recover your lost earnings and any other damages that you may suffer because of the situation.

What Do You Need to Know Before You File a Wage Theft Claim?

There are strict time limits for filing a wage theft complaint with local, state, or federal agencies. You will need to get your claim underway in a timely manner or you cannot recover what you are owed.

You will need to gather supporting evidence and documentation that shows how much you worked, how much you earned, and how much you were paid. Then itemize how much you are owed.

You will need to be sure to include contact information for both your employer and you. Remember that evidence is the key. Be sure to make copies of everything and keep the original documents yourself. You will need employment contracts, timesheets or timecards, witness statements, paystubs, memos, emails, and any other documentation or correspondence.

Your first step will be to notify your employer of the discrepancy. Regularly check your paystubs and if you find a problem, be sure to report it right away. Talk with a supervisor or human resources.

Document their response and be sure to keep proof that you notified your employer of the problem. Often, the matter can be resolved in house, but if not, you want proof that you tried to get the issue taken care of.

You will need to provide all information regarding your wages, benefits, and pay periods. If your employer does not resolve the matter, this evidence is a necessity for filing a complaint. You must prove your losses so that the matter can get resolved promptly and efficiently.

How To Report Wage Theft

If you have suffered wage theft in Michigan, you will need to file a complaint with the Wage and Hour Division. Time is limited, so the complaint must be filed within 12 months of the alleged violation of the incident. Michigan law requires that employees be paid at a rate of one and one-half of the employee’s regular hourly rate if they work more than 40 hours during a workweek.

There are some exceptions from the standard overtime requirements in Michigan law, but not federal law. You should research Michigan overtime law as well as federal overtime law to learn more about the regulations and to determine if you have been the victim of wage theft, and make sure you gather all the supporting evidence for your claim. You will want to get your claim underway with the supporting documentation and be sure to itemize your losses.

The Wage and Hour Division will investigate your claim and will work with your employer to get the matter resolved. If the matter is not resolved, you will then take the claim a bit farther by filing a lawsuit against your employer.

Documentation and evidence are essential to the success of your claim. Without being able to show how much you are owed, you cannot have a successful outcome and recoup your losses. You must also make sure you file the claim in a timely manner.

Fill Out a Free Evaluation Form

If you have been the victim of wage theft in Michigan, you should enlist the help of an employment law attorney who handles wage theft cases. With the help of an attorney who is familiar with the state and federal laws, you may be much more likely to succeed with your case. An attorney will investigate the situation and gather supporting documentation.

When you speak with an attorney, discuss their payment options. Some lawyers will take the case on a contingency basis and not be paid until you win your claim. Other attorneys require a retainer to be paid in advance.

Time is limited, so be sure to get a consultation as quickly as possible. Complete the Free Case Evaluation Form on this page today to share the details with an attorney who represents wage theft victims in your area. To get your wage theft claim underway in Michigan, complete the Free Case Evaluation Form on this page.

Additional Resources