Connecticut Wrongful Termination

If you have experienced wrongful termination while working in Connecticut, you may be able to file a wrongful termination claim. Most states have laws in force which protect employees from wrongful termination if an employee has been fired because of their membership of a protected class which includes race, color, religion, ethnic identity, gender, including gender identity, disability and age.

The Connecticut anti-discrimination statute covers some smaller employers not covered by federal law. Therefore, if your workplace has between 3 and 14 employees, you will be covered only under state law and should file with the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities (CHRO). If your workplace has 15 or more employees, you will be able to initiate a claim under both federal and state law by filing with the CHRO.

What Is Wrongful Termination?

Wrongful termination occurs when an employee has been terminated due to a protected characteristic that the employee possesses. This includes race, national origin, color, gender, pregnancy status, religion, age and disability. In Connecticut it also recognizes several additional protected classes, including marital or civil union status, gender expression, sexual orientation and those afflicted with HIV/AIDS.

Employers in Connecticut are not allowed to fire an employee in retaliation for not participating in any dangerous or illegal activities, notifying an authority of a violation by the employer. Connecticut employers must be familiar with the public policy doctrine which stipulates that workers cannot be fired for engaging in certain activities considered to be performed on behalf of the public so employers cannot terminate a worker for notifying authorities of workplace violations, refusing to break a law at the request of an employer, exercising a legally protected right or taking part in acts deemed to be in the public’s best interest.

What Should I Do If I’ve Experienced Wrongful Termination In Connecticut?

Under Connecticut and Federal law, you have 300 days from the date of wrongful termination due to discrimination, harassment or retaliation to file a complaint with the CHRO and the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission (EEOC).

How Do I File a Connecticut Wrongful Termination Claim?

In Connecticut, you must file a discrimination claim for wrongful termination with the state administrative agency, the CHRO. A person wishing to file a complaint should contact an intake officer at one of the Commission’s regional offices. The intake worker will discuss your concerns, explain our complaint process, and advise you about what help CHRO may be able to provide to you. If a complaint can be taken, you will be given an appointment to come to a regional office to file a complaint. The state agency has what is called a “work-sharing agreement” with the federal administrative agency, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), which means that the agencies cooperate with each other to process claims. Filing a claim with both agencies is unnecessary, as long as you indicate to CHRO that you want it to “cross-file” the claim with the EEOC.

Get Help With Your Connecticut Wrongful Termination Claim

It is never easy winning a wrongful termination claim as you need to provide evidence that proves your wrongful termination was unlawful. A lawyer may be able to help you file a claim.  

Complete the Free Case Evaluation on this page to get connected with an independent, participating attorney who subscribes to the website and may be able to help with your case.