Wrongful Termination Laws in Vermont

If you were fired for an illegal reason in Vermont, there are some laws in place that can protect you. You will need documentation and evidence to prove that your termination was illegal, and you will need to get your claim underway in a timely manner. Here is a closer look at wrongful termination in Vermont and how to pursue a wrongful termination claim against your employer.

What Is the Vermont Fair Employment Practices Act?

The Vermont Fair Employment Practices Act (FEPA) applies to employers with one or more employees regardless of whether they are a private company, nonprofit, union, employment agency, or government agency. Even volunteers, interns, and contractors are covered by the protections offered. FEPA prohibits discrimination based on sex or gender, gender identity, and expression. It is enforced by the Attorney General’s Office (AGO) and the Vermont Human Rights Commission (HRC) for state workers.

If you have been a victim of discrimination, be sure to maintain thorough evidence and documentation. Keep any texts, emails, photos, and other documentation. Also, get statements from any witnesses and keep any photos or video footage that applies to your claim and the harassment or discrimination you have suffered in the workplace in Vermont.

What Other Laws Protect Vermont Workers from Wrongful Termination?

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act is federal law that prohibits workplace discrimination, and which can also prohibit wrongful termination. Although Vermont is an at-will employment state, which means you can be fired for almost any reason, or without reason, it cannot be a discriminatory act. There are laws still in place to protect workers from mistreatment or discriminatory acts.

You cannot be discriminated against – including terminated from your job -  because of your gender, age, disability, race, religion, marital status, gender identity, ethnicity, or other identifying details. An employment law attorney can help you with your wrongful termination claim in Vermont.

Who Oversees Wrongful Termination Laws in Vermont?

The Vermont Human Rights Commission oversees Vermont wrongful termination laws. To file a complaint, you will need to visit the website and complete the form under the box that says, “File A Complaint.” You will need to provide supporting documentation and evidence as well.

You can also file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). EEOC complaints can be filed online or over the phone with the nearest EEOC office. You will need to provide supporting documentation and any other evidence that you may have to back up your claim against your employer.

Get In Touch with A Lawyer That Takes Rhode Island Wrongful Termination Claims

You have limited time to pursue a wrongful termination claim in Rhode Island. Complete the Free Case Evaluation Form to share the details of your wrongful termination with an independent, participating attorney who subscribes to the website and handles Vermont wrongful termination claims. Be sure to discuss payment options because some attorneys take cases on a contingency basis while others require a retainers and charge an hourly rate.

Additional Resources